Invigorating our Local Economy
The Shaw Centre’s positive economic impact reaches far beyond the smiles that we bring out of planners, delegates, and event attendees. It touches the whole community.
Between 2019 and 2020 we…
- Boosted Ottawa’s economy by $150 million.
- Attracted more than 300,000 attendees including over 65,000 out-of-town visitors.
- Hosted 450 events including 74 in which over 50% of the attendees came from outside of the Ottawa-Gatineau area.
- Hosted 46 national and international conventions
- Supported approximately 1,649 jobs, resulting in $76M in direct and indirect labour income.
- Generated $47M in labour income that stemmed from 1,248 event jobs.
- Contributed tax revenues for the federal and provincial reserves estimated at more than $54.5 million.
- Sparked direct spending on convention centre events including out-of-town delegates, exhibitors and production estimated at $50 million
- Contributed approximately $22 million to Ottawa’s GDP
Direct Spend Broken Down
The Shaw Centre acts as a “stay-at-home export”, attracting business to the Ottawa area. Strategic partnerships over the past few years with local hotels, Ottawa Tourism, and Destination Canada has paid off. This is evidenced by $50 million estimated in direct spending.
- The $50 million in direct spending includes:
- $17 million in attendee spending
- $1 million in exhibitor spending
- $11 million in production spending
Positively Impacted by Shaw Centre Business
- Accommodation services
- Food and beverage services
- Retail trade, arts, entertainment and recreation
- Information and cultural industries
- Ground passenger transportation
- Other transportation and warehousing
- Car renting and leasing
- Real estate and renting and leasing
Meetings At The Shaw Centre
- Meetings promote investment, trade, communications and technology
- Meetings bring education and professional development to the community
- Meetings promote and support other business sectors
- Meetings attract global expertise
- Meetings build community profile
- Meetings represent the high end of visitor spending
Download our 2019/2020 Annual report for additional information on previous fiscal years.Annual Reports